Butterfly Garden Headpiece

Let’s start with the butterflies. I’m going to note before I start that you could use PVA glue to do this, however, I had the resin in my stash and I wanted to play around with it.

You will need to get some fabric lace butterflies, either cotton or polyester will work - I’m using these polyester lace butterflies I sourced on (which reminds me, if you want me to do a wish haul, and see what you can get from wish in terms of millinery supplies, leave me a comment below). I will also link to alternative lace butterflies in the description box.

Trim the butterflies and lay them on a silicone mat - this is a must if using resin as resin doesn’t stick to silicone. If you don’t have a silicone mat, you could use a bit of hard plastic, the type I use in a little bit to shape the wings.

Just a quick H&S warning - I would strongly suggest you wear a mask and gloves with resin. I did wear a mask but was just a paper mask, which was fine for the small amount I was working with however I didn’t wear any gloves and I really should have. I’m using this UV resin which I got as part of a kit which will be linked in the description box, as it came with a UV light which is how you cure the resin to make it hard.

I squirted a small dot on each part of the wing and using a paintbrush, I brushed the resin over the butterfly, it will absorb a little which is what we want. Then using a bit of hard plastic (this is from a food takeaway container which was washed), make your self a tent-shaped fold. Lay the butterfly on the fold and using your fingers, prefer the wings down - it won’t stick to the plastic but it will give the butterfly the illusion it’s in-flight.

Plugin your UV lamp and set your butterflies under the lamp and cure for around 1 ½ minute - this lamp has a 45-second timer so I let it run twice under the lamp. Only add resin to the butterflies you are putting onto the folded plastic as if the UV light hits it, you will cure it - this applies to the brush too, move the brush away from the lamp before you cure anything.

Once you have enough butterflies made, you could make some flat butterflies too, using the silicone mat to hold whilst curing. I went ahead and added some fushia chatons to the butterfly using a dot of resin to hold into place and curing for 1 ½ minute. I’m using these chatons from Bluestreak crystals in the size SS24 which are just over 5mm wide and have a beautiful brilliant cut

Now to assemble the hat. I’m using an oval sinamay fascinator base from Petershams in cerise and after positioning it in the position I wanted (which is actually backwards as I wanted the lip at the back of the hat), I sewed it to the headband which is also from Petershams.

Next, I spent some time arranging this gorgeous silk abaca from B Unique Millinery onto the base, figuring out what looks good and pleasing on the eye - I made sure that I hid the sides on the abaca in the folds so I didn’t have to sew the edges down. This is the abaca in Line Green and is $20 AUD per ½ meter.

Once that was positioned, I sewed it to the base and sewed any sections which touched to give the abaca some extra support.

Finally, I then pinned the butterflies around the hat, ensuring that I spaced out any butterflies with chatons added before filling out with any without. These were then sewn into place and we are done

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2019-2021 by JWH Millinery

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon